Duration: 52 minutes
David and Andrew look at the role of sound in usability. From deliberately loud vacuum cleaners to the crunch of a Pringle, sound is an important but often forgotten aspect of user experience. Also, David almost gets punched, and Andrew bum-shuffles on a water slide like a dog with worms.
Other things we talk about:
- Alarms in hospitals
- Sound branding of Japanese train stations
- Unique sounds in technology
- Faked sounds in cars
- Jingles that are ear-worms
- Auto-playing music on websites
- David comments on the usability of a self-checkout and almost gets punched
- Andy bum-shuffles on a water slide
The Unusable podcast is presented by Andrew Waite & David Ball, who discuss the importance of user experience (UX) in technology & the world around us, & talk about great design that just works - or moan about it when it doesn't.
Music is by Gold5472